
As was mentioned in my previous post, Scott and I recently rented Marley and Me. For those of you who haven't seen it and would like to, I recommend stopping here. No really, stop.
For the rest of you:
Okay, so I've been wanting to watch this movie for a long time but with school and everything else going on we just haven't had a chance to see it. We finally saw it at Redbox and decided that we wanted to rent it. We didn't end up getting to it until about midnight and not wanting to have to keep it an extra day, we decided to watch it.
Problem #1-Started watching it late.
We were laying upstairs watching this movie about this AWFUL dog who reminded me a little bit of Aspen. Not that Aspen is such an awful dog, but she LOVES to chew just like Marley does in the movie. I was laughing and relating to all of the things that were happening while Scott was criticizing their ability to train a dog.
After awhile it shows the dog getting older which reminded me of my first dog (Champ) who is still alive but definitely getting a lot older. I thought about my parents surprising us, him pulling me down the street on my rollerblades, dressing him up in people clothes and chasing him around the neighborhood when he ran away from home. I even started thinking about Libby, the dog Scott had when we first started dating. She would bark when he hugged or kissed me and it always made me laugh.
Problem #2-Made a personal connection.
Then, it happened. The vet said there was nothing else that she could do for Marley. The next scene shows John laying his head on Marley and telling her that she was not an awful dog but that she was the best dog and that he loved her more than anything. After minutes of this heart-wrenching scene the vet comes in and puts him to sleep while John sits next to him. By this point I have completely lost it. I'm snuggled up next to Scott bawling my eyes out and shaking. My head hurt, my eyes were puffy, my nose was running and the only thing I could think about was having to go through that with Aspen.
The movie ended (around 2:00 a.m.) and I immediately got out of bed, walked downstairs, woke up Aspen (I'm sure she was wondering what the heck was going on) and pulled her onto the ground to lay down next to me. I just sat there and cried with her.
Now, after having had some time to think about it, I've decided that I like the movie. Obviously it is sad, but I don't think is the overall message of the movie. I would recommend it to a friend, just not on a day when you want to keep your make-up looking good. ;)




4 comments:
i did the same thing, hyd... about bawled my eyes out!
I just found your cute blog! It was SO good to see you last night at the shower!
richardsonclan.blogspot.com
#1: champ is one of the cutest dogs i've ever seen.
#2: my dog died when i was 13, and even NOW, if i think about it too much, i cry.
#3: I think because of #2 i will have to maybe not see the movie...
um exactly same as me- we started the movie way later than we would normally because i can't stay up watching movies! i think i like the movie- i just can't see it again for a while!
Post a Comment