I've always considered myself a pretty goal-oriented person {that sounds better to me than incredibly stubborn}. ;) I remember when I was younger setting several goals for myself that, quite honestly, made no sense whatsoever. But, because I set it as my 'goal', I stuck to it. For example--and I think I may have shared this on here before--I once saw a documentary on t.v. about snakes who find their way into household pipes and come up through toilets--yuck. In the documentary they said that these snakes will are more likely to come into half-bath toilet than a full-bath. And so, what did I do? I swore off the one half-bathroom in our house--for a year. Yes, my family teased me and on more than one occasion I found myself pounding on the occupied full-bathroom door in desperate need for the occupant to re-locate. But, I did it! I made it a full year! And, for what purpose? Yeah, don't ask.
Despite the example I just shared, I have also set out and accomplished several {worthwhile} goals. Goals which I am proud of. And, no, I don't feel the need to share all the finer points on here. :) But, of these 'worthwhile' goals, one in particular comes to mind.
Several years ago my friend Brooke {who is getting married this Friday!} and I created a list of different activities that we wanted to complete over the course of a summer. We wrote each item down and documented through pictures every time we completed one of our activities. At the end of the summer, we bought photo albums and stuck all of our pictures in as a sort of photo diary. {She was headed back up to Utah State, I was headed to down to Provo}
Now, if I remember correctly, I think we only did about half of the things that we set out to do. That is a 'fail' on any scale. But, it was a fun way to keep us motivated to try new things and it strengthened our friendship and the fun memories we have together.
Over the past few months, I've been feeling like a little bit of a slacker. I spend a lot of time thinking of all the things I would like to get done but, at the end of the day, I find that my list of 'completed' tasks is much, much shorter than the remaining 'to dos'. And so, I'm recommitting myself.
Last night I sat down and made a new list of summer activities I want to accomplish this year--50 things to be exact. Some of them are fun; some are not so fun. Some items are 'have to' do; others are 'want to'. My hope is that I will be able to look back at the end of the summer having worked hard, played hard, and with no regrets. Scott has volunteered to support me in my efforts. And, in an effort to keep myself on track, I'm also publishing my list for all the blogging world to see. As we complete each item, I'll post any pictures or updates we may have.
And so, without further ado, let me present to you--Hydee's Summer Goals 2011--to be completed by Labor Day. Wish me luck!
1. Go on a picnic
2. Go for a hike
3. Write 15 'Thank You' notes
4. Play card games in a tent
5. Take a 'frame-worthy' photograph
6. Clean out my nightstand
7. Make dinner for someone else
8. Get a tan
9. Plan/host Bridger's 1st birthday party
10. Update our blog weekly
11. Visit both sets of my grandparents
12. Design blog
13. Take our family pictures
14. Spend a day shopping with my mom
15. Attend Youth Conference
16. Take a weekly walk with Scott & crew
17. Get a Snowie
18. Take Aspen swimming
19. Attend Girl's Camp
20. Create 5 FHE kits
21. Do 50 consecutive push-ups
22. Catch a fish {preferably on a fly}
23. Go camping
24. Re-read The Book of Mormon
25. Take Bridger to Pirate's Cove
26. Go to a fireworks show
27. Watch a movie outside
28. Attend a rodeo
29. Try 10 new recipes
30. Attend a parade
31. Get ice cream from Cold Stone
32. Obtain a city library card
33. Read 10 new books
34. Finish 1st year of Bridger's scrapbook
35. Attend a Salt Lake Bee's game
36. Go to the drive-in
37. Go to the beach
38. Host a BBQ
39. Go to Disneyland
40. Make fabric banner
41. Play badminton
42. Make 5 greeting cards
43. Attend a concert
44. Complete 2 personal progress projects
45. Go to Wheeler Farm
46. Go on a bike ride
47. Complete a sewing project
48. Complete an entire puzzle book
49. Organize my personal scrapbook bins
50. Have a girl's night out



5 comments:
sounds like you'll have busy and fun summer!
You are such an inspiration to me! I love reading your blog. And I love your idea to having a summer checklist. You are an amazing woman! Keep up the great work. :)
I love this list! Pretty sure I'm just going to copy it and use it for myself.
Wow! That is quite the list friend! :) You do know that within a week at SHD - you'd finish #3 on your list - right?! Sure miss you - we need to do lunch sometime! Call me!
Wow!! cool idea, hyds. I might have to copy you.
Post a Comment